Have you heard of Growing Food and Sustainability, the youth-led organization that takes care of the Middleton High School Outdoor Classroom and built the Youth Farm next to Clark Street Community School? This is one of our new projects!
Focus the Classroom is a two-day event (Thursday, April 25th and Friday, April 26th) in which high school students in Middleton will have the opportunity to connect their learning to environmental and sustainability issues. The program was inspired by a similar event organized by our friends at Iowa City Summer of Solutions. Our goal is to help teachers incorporate environmental concepts and hands-on learning into their classes by providing lesson plans and supplemental materials through this website.
NAVIGATE THE FOCUS THE CLASSROOM WEBSITE
1. Click on one of the four primary content area tabs (English, Mathematics, Science, or Social Studies) above to be taken to a list of subjects within that content area. Or hover over the Extracurriculars tab to see a list of all extracurricular subject areas.
2. Click on one of the subjects areas
3. The new page shows lessons and resources that incorporate sustainability topics into the chosen subject area.
4. Click on the lesson plan or resource that you would like to explore.
5. Each full lesson plan is correlated to Wisconsin State Education Standards. We also encourage you to mix and match the resources listed on each page to create your own lesson plans.
6. At the bottom of each page is a comment box for you to share your experiences with these lessons. Please help us to improve our resources for next year!
Disclaimer: Focus the Classroom is a project of Growing Food and Sustainability, comprised of local youth with a passion for increasing environmental awareness, sustainability initiatives, and education. While teaching environmental studies is of interest to all of us, we do not have professional education or training experience. The lesson plans and supplemental resources provided on this website are suggestions for teachers to explore, alter, and expand upon. Our goal is to provide teachers with an easily accessible starting point for introducing environmental themes to students as they focus the classroom.